Thursday, May 31, 2007

Build a Connection

It is one thing to connect with someone, another to build on it. When I meet someone new professionally I will often try and find a common connection. If it is a potential candidate I look at their resume to see if there is anyone in their past that we know mutually. Or if the person has a similar background to mine I will share some of my story. A new client I often will try to find some common connection. I have found it helps the conversation flow for me. People like common grounds, they seem more trusting and comfortable. Once the initial ground work is done, when speaking to people in the future I will try to remember tidbits of conversations, or bring up articles I have read on the company they work for.

What type of question do you ask when meeting a new business associate?

No comments: